Current:Home > ContactIndexbit-European Union calls for an investigation into the massacre of nearly 100 civilians in Burkina Faso -Wealth Legacy Solutions
Indexbit-European Union calls for an investigation into the massacre of nearly 100 civilians in Burkina Faso
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 04:32:38
DAKAR,Indexbit Senegal (AP) — The European Union is calling for an investigation into the massacre of nearly 100 civilians including women and children in Burkina Faso.
The killings took place in the village of Zaongo in the Center-North region earlier this month, the EU said in a statement Sunday.
“The European Union calls on the transitional authorities to shed light on the circumstances of this killing in order to determine responsibility,” it said.
It’s unclear who perpetrated the attacks, Burkina Faso’s government didn’t respond to a request for comment.
The West African nation has been grappling with a jihadi insurgency linked to al-Qaida and the Islamic State group for years. Thousands of people have been killed and more than 2 million internally displaced.
The violence has led to two coups, with the current junta seizing power in September 2022. The junta, led by Capt. Ibrahim Traore, has been accused by rights groups of committing abuses against civilians and cracking down on civil liberties, in the name of securing the country.
Earlier this month the junta enacted an emergency law against perceived dissidents to expand its crackdown, according to a report by Human Rights Watch. It notified at least a dozen journalists, civil society activists and opposition members that they’ll be conscripted to participate in government security operations across the country, the report said.
In its attempt to stem the jihadi threat, the government has enlisted tens of thousands of volunteer fighters, but civilians say the volunteers indiscriminately kill people suspected of working with the jihadis. Many communities say they’re more afraid of the volunteers than the extremists.
In a post on X, formerly known as Twitter, last week, Molly Phee, head of African affairs at the U.S. State Department, said she was “shocked and saddened” by the news of the killings in Zaongo and urged authorities to investigate and hold those responsible to account.
veryGood! (4321)
Related
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- Bama Rush Deep-Dives Into Sorority Culture: Here's Everything We Learned
- Post-pandemic, even hospital care goes remote
- Schools ended universal free lunch. Now meal debt is soaring
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- At least 4 dead and 2 critically hurt after overnight fire in NYC e-bike repair shop
- These states are narrowly defining who is 'female' and 'male' in law
- DNC to raise billboards in Times Square, across U.S. to highlight abortion rights a year after Roe v. Wade struck down
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- It's never too late to explore your gender identity. Here's how to start
Ranking
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Biden says his own age doesn't register with him as he seeks second term
- At Stake in Arctic Refuge Drilling Vote: Money, Wilderness and a Way of Life
- Looking for a refreshing boost this summer? Try lemon water.
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Climate Change Threatens the World’s Fisheries, Food Billions of People Rely On
- RHONJ: How Joe Gorga Drama Brought Teresa Giudice's Daughter to Tears During Her Wedding
- Panel at National Press Club Discusses Clean Break
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Fracking Study Finds Low Birth Weights Near Natural Gas Drilling Sites
Why LeBron James Is Considering Retiring From the NBA After 20 Seasons
The History of Ancient Hurricanes Is Written in Sand and Mud
Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
Two doctors struck by tragedy in Sudan: One dead, one fleeing for his life
University of New Mexico Football Player Jaden Hullaby Dead at 21 Days After Going Missing
High Oil Subsidies Ensure Profit for Nearly Half New U.S. Investments, Study Shows